Test 1. Rephrase the following situations using an appropriate modal verb. 1. I advise you to stop eating chocolate. You _________ stop eating chocolate.
2. I insist that you do your homework. You _________ do your homework.
3. Will you let me speak to David, please? _________ I speak to David, please?
4. She can hear you well enough. You _________ shout.
5. Talking is not permitted during the test. You _________ talk during the test.
6. It isn’t right to speak to your mother like that. You _________ speak to your mother like that.
7. It isn’t possible for him to come to the party. He _________ come to the party.
8. He is obliged to go to the police station once a week. He _________ to go to the police station once a week.
9. It’s forbidden to feed the animals in the Zoo. You _________ feed the animals in the Zoo.
10. It isn’t necessary to dust the furniture. You _________ dust the furniture.
11. Would you mind if I read your book? _________ I read your book?
12. Perhaps they’ll come with us. They _________ come with us.
13. Would you mind if I use your glasses? _________ I use your glasses?
14. Let’s try doing this exercise. _________ we try doing this exercise?
15. He can do it himself. Why _________ he ask anybody for help?
16. Perhaps, she will phone them today. She _________ phone them today.
17. Why don’t you go to the sea for a holiday? You _________ go to the sea for a holiday.
18. Would you like me to help you with the dishes? _________ I help you with the dishes?
19. It isn’t right to argue with your parents. You _________ argue with your parents.
20. Perhaps, she is asleep now. She _________ be asleep now.
Test 2. Choose the correct modal verb. 1. Mike _________ play the piano very well. And what about you?
a) can b) should c) must
2. I _________ skate when I was little.
a) can’t b) couldn’t c) mustn’t
3. We _________ hurry. We’ve got plenty of time.
a) can’t b) needn’t c) must
4. _________ you help me with this task?
a) Could b) Must c) May
5. I’m sorry I’m late. _________ I come in?
a) Must b) Should c) May
6. _________ you speak any foreign languages?
a) Can b) Should c) May
7. It’s raining. You _________ take an umbrella.
a) can’t b) don’t have to c) should
8. I’m afraid I _________ come to the party on Friday.
a) can b) can’t c) may
9. You _________ go there at once. It’s really very urgent.
a) don’t have to b) needn’t c) must
10. When I was young, I _________ run for miles.
a) could b) must c) should
11. ‘ _________ I smoke here?’ ‘No, you mustn’t.’
a) Must b) May c) Should
12. ‘ _________ I translate this sentence?’ ‘No, you needn’t.’
a) Can b) May c) Must
13. I looked everywhere for the book but I _________ find it.
a) couldn’t b) mustn’t c) shouldn’t
14. You _________ drive carefully on a busy road.
a) can b) may c) should
15. There’s nothing I _________ do about it.
a) can b) may c) don’t have to
16. Schools _________ teach children the difference between right and wrong.
a) can’t b) mustn’t c) must
17. I don’t feel well today. _________ I leave a bit earlier?
a) Should b) May c) Must
18. That _________ be true! It’s absolutely impossible.
a) can’t b) must c) needn’t
19. Yesterday I stayed at home because I _________ help my father.
a) must b) had to c) can
20. You _________ use my dictionary as long as you like.
a) must b) have to c) may
Test 3. Write should or the correct form of have to in the gaps. 1. Nurses _________ know how to give people injections.
2. You _________ eat more fruit and vegetables.
3. _________ you _________ travel abroad in your job?
4. Tom is ill, he _________ see his doctor.
5. I’m sorry I couldn’t come to your party. I _________ work late.
6. You _________ try to phone your father this weekend.
7. I hope you don’t _________ go home early.
8. Mike is a teacher. He _________ teach different kinds of students.
9. I think Patrick _________ be more polite to his sister!
10. Do I _________ wash up again?
11. A postman _________ get up early every day.
12. I didn’t like the job because I _________ wear a uniform.
13. He ignores me. What _________ I do?
14. I am free on Saturday because I _________ work at the weekend.
15. You look tired. You _________ go to bed now.
16. I think the government _________ do more to help homeless people.
17. He _________ wear a suit to work but he usually does.
18. Last night Don suddenly became ill. We _________ call a doctor.
19. Caroline may _________ go away next week.
20. You _________ read this book. It’s really excellent.
Test 4. Choose the correct modal verb. 1. I don’t want anyone to know it. You (mustn’t/don’t have to) tell anyone.
2. Listen! I (can/must) hear someone crying.
3. When we were at school, we (had to/ought to) wear a uniform.
4. You (don’t have to/mustn’t) wear your seatbelt during the whole of the flight.
5. You (should/have to) tell her that you are sorry.
6. You (need/must) be a member of the library before you can borrow books.
7. I (needn’t/shouldn’t) wear glasses because my eyesight is still quite good.
8. When I first came to Madrid, I (could/couldn’t) say only a few words in Spanish.
9. Helen (must/had to) leave the meeting early because she had a train to catch.
10. I (didn’t need to/couldn’t) get tickets after all – they were sold out.
11. I left my bike outside the house last night and this morning it isn’t there any more. Somebody (can’t/must) have stolen it.
12. ‘I can’t find my umbrella.’ ‘You (should/might) have left it in the restaurant last night.’
13. (Must/May) I see your passport, please?
14. He’s not working tomorrow, so he (doesn’t have to/ should) get up early.
15. Ann was in a very difficult situation. It (must/can’t) have been easy for her.
16. That shirt is dirty. You (ought to/needn’t) wash it.
17. Last year I got a lot of money, so we (had to/were able to) buy a new house.
18. I had forgotten to bring my camera, so I (couldn’t/ shouldn’t) take any pictures.
19. Don’t tell anybody what I said. You (must/can) keep it secret.
20. I’m really hungry. I (could/might) eat a horse!
Test 5. Complete this text using the verbs below.
How to Be а Friend of the Earth There are many simple things we _________ (1) all do to stop the destruction of the environment. First of all, we _________ (2) not dump our rubbish without thinking which things, such as bottles and paper, _________ (3) be recycled. We _________ (4) put objects that we _________ (5) recycle in recycling bins. Secondly, instead of taking our car wherever we go, we _________ (6) to leave it at home whenever possible, and go on foot or by public transport. If there is something wrong with our car’s exhaust pipe, we _________ (7) get it fixed immediately. When we _________ (8) to drive to the supermarket to do our shopping, we _________ (9) always remember to take our own bag, so that we don’t _________ (10) to use the supermarket’s plastic bags.
Test 6. Translate the sentences using modal verbs. 1. Он, наверное, учит это стихотворение уже час.
2. Тебе следовало бы давно забыть об этом.
3. Автобус должен был прийти пять минут назад.
4. Не может быть, чтобы он был занят сейчас.
5. Возможно, он сможет помочь тебе.
6. Вам не надо приходить завтра.
7. Должно быть, ему пришлось сделать это.
8. Не могли бы Вы повторить свой вопрос?
9. Может быть, мне придется работать в воскресенье.
10. Вероятно, он еще делает уроки.
11. Тебе следует закончить эту работу.
12. Через год я смогу говорить по‑английски очень хорошо.
13. Что тебе пришлось делать вчера?
14. Можно мне выйти?
15. Он должен был прийти час назад.
16. Неужели он забыл про мой день рождения?
17. Учитель сказал, что мы можем идти домой.
18. Ты не должен читать эту книгу.
19. В прошлом году я не умел плавать, а теперь могу.
20. Возможно, он все еще ждет меня.