1. Unemployment benefits have been given to those who are out of work.
2. The company has been dealing in car sales for many years.
3. Вefore John celebrated his 26th birthday, he had started his own company.
IV. а) Выполните тему КОПР №1.
B) В следующих предложениях подчеркните герундий и инфинитив. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. Consumer spending is seventy percent of the economic activity in the United States.
2. Commercial properties face two serious problems: falling prices and refinancing.
3. After the recession jobs have continued to disappear, though at slower rates.
V. Прочитайте и устно переведите на русский язык весь текст. Перепишите и письменно переведите абзацы 3, 4.
1. The word “auction” is derived from the Latin augere which means “to increase” or “augment”. In an auction each consumer makes a bid for the product, and the highest bid wins. The exact date and time that auctions were first organized is not exactly known. Historians agree on one thing - auctions have been around for a very long time.
2. In the 5th century, the Greeks held auctions to sell women for the purpose of marriage. The Romans were the first to organize sales of goods at auction. The Chinese used auctions to sell surplus property to raise money for their religious leaders and temples.
3. The Вritish organized regular auctions of books and art in the 1600’s. In some parts of England during the 17th and 18th centuries “auction by candle” was used for the sale of goods and leasehold. This auction began by lighting a candle after which bids were offered in ascending order until the candle burnt out. The high bid won the auction. In the late 17th century auctions came to be held in coffeehouses and taverns throughout London. Such auctions were held daily, and catalogues were printed. In the early 18th century the great auction houses were created: Sotheby’s and Christie’s. English auction is also known as an open ascending price auction. This type of auction is the most common form of auction in use today.
4. Over the years auctioneering has been progressing and changing, and today it remains more popular than ever. Mostly everything can be sold by auction: antiques, household items, automobiles, land, livestock, designer clothes, etc. Auctioning is becoming more and more common on the World Wide Web, and auctioning websites have become very big business.
VI. Определите, являются ли приведенные ниже утверждения:
a) истинными (true)
b) ложными (false)
c) в тексте нет информации (no information)
1. It is not precisely known when the auctions came into being.
2. The Greeks were the first to organize sales of goods at auctions.
3. Women were auctioned for marriage in the 5thcentury.
Занесите свои ответы в таблицу:
VII. Прочитайте абзац 2 и ответьте письменно на вопрос:
Who used auctions to sell surplus property to collect money for their leaders?
I. Переведите письменно существительные (1-10). Выберите определения (a-j), соответствующие этим существительным:
1. audit a) a formal written document that is a record of
an agreement, especially one relating to a property
2. benefit b) an official examination of a person’s or organization’s
accounts by an expert
3. deed c) the buying and selling of goods and services
4. commerce d) a good effect or advantage that something has,
for example a product or service
5. labour e) a sudden large increase in the number or amount
6. earnings f) the money that a person receives for the work in
a particular period of time
7. leap g) work involving a lot of physical or mental effort
8. merger h) knowledge or skill gained from doing a particular job
9. improvement i) an occasion when two or more companies,
organizations etc join together to form a larger company
10. experience j) the act or state of getting better
Занесите свои ответы в таблицу:
II. Вставьте в каждое предложение подходящее по смыслу пропущенное слово:
a list, balance, credit, return, share, staff
1. Thesheet of a company is worked out from the final accounts.
2. Can you give meof current prices?
3. This company will not accept unconfirmed letters of
4. Shareholders were offered 18 pence per
5. They retired eight members of_ but didn’t replace them.
6. You can expect a 15%on this sum.
III. a) Выполните темы КОПР № 3,5.